I am a 35-year-old male who lives in Iowa; I have recently come to the conclusion that I may be dyslexic. I am trying to find places to where I can get tested and have really come against a brick wall. I see from your website that you have information about testing in younger children, but wondered if you had any idea where adults can get tested? I really am having difficulties find anyone that does testing.


Dr. Pierson's Response: 

I looked at the International Dyslexia Association's list of providers for Iowa and was surprised to see so few, actually. That said, there are some people in Cedar Rapids. You could contact one of them and ask whether he or she has experience with adults or if they can refer you to someone.

Here is another web resource I found. The first psychologist has learning disabilities listed, so I'd call him. And, although this woman appears to specialize in children, she might be able to recommend someone with experience with adults.

Before you contact them, I recommend reading our page, What to Expect in a Dyslexia Evaluation. It will help you with some of the questions you will want to ask to determine whether this person has the skill set you need.

Good luck with this. I hope one of these leads pans out for you.