I have a son who has been having a lot of difficulty at school. He is 10 years old and he has a real hard time in concentrating and his reading comprehension is really poor. He has had multiple tests done but he has never been told that he is dyslexic. He was diagnosed with ADD inattentive disorder. I would like to have him evaluated in a center specializing in learning disabilities. We are from Puerto Rico and we are lacking specialists in this field. I would be willing to go with him anywhere to have him evaluated. Do you have any suggestions?


Dr. Pierson's Response: 

What is your son's native language? It will be important that he is assessed in his native language. I looked on the International Dyslexia Association's website, but do not see a chapter in Puerto Rico. There is an excellent center for reading research at Florida State University. I'm not sure if they do diagnosis. You could contact them to inquire.

Other options where work in dyslexia is being conducted are Yale where Sally Shaywitz is, Tufts University, or MGH in Boston. All of these are quite a trip for you, as is Ann Arbor where I am located. I do understand the need to find out what is going on with your son. I hope one of these leads can connect you with someone ini Puerto Rico.