We came across your Facebook page and have been very impressed with the wealth of information that you provide! We have two sons ages 14 and 11 that are both dyslexic and one also has processing issues. We are trying to find tutors that could help with homework, study skills, etc. and was wondering if you could help? We live in Michigan. Thank you in advance for any assistance that you may be able to provide.


Dr. Pierson's Response: 

I'll point you to the International Dyslexia Association's list of providers for MI. You'll want to talk with the person about your sons' needs to be sure that he/she has expertise and experience working with kids at their age levels.

Relative to your son with processing issues, I'm assuming you mean oral language comprehension issues. You will want to have someone who has expertise in this area as well. It can be a challenge to find someone with expertise in both oral language and written language. This is, in part, why as a speech-language pathologist (SLP) I chose to pursue my doctorate in education with a focus in language, literacy, and learning disabilities. Unfortunately, our training (university programs) in the areas of speech-language and reading disability have not fully caught up with what we know (i.e., SLPs are still being trained with no work in reading, and reading specialists have no background in oral language). Given what we know about oral language undergirding reading, it's frustrating on my end that we've not done more to meld those areas yet. (As an SLP, I have been working with reading for over 2 decades, so it is not as if this is "new" knowledge.) I get a lot of calls at my private clinical practice about kids who have had language testing and not reading, and moreover, reading assessment, but no language. They go hand-in-hand for many kids and both areas should be assessed.