I am from India. I have been told that I am a dyslexic student. Now I have completed my secondary and senior secondary education by availing extra 1 hour time. Now for my higher studies in Institute of Chartered Accountancy of India, I have applied for time concessions. But they asked me to furnish the document stating whether the disability is of permanent nature and to specify the nature and extend (in terms of percentage) of the disability.

I would like to know:

  • Whether the % of dyslexia can be assessed?
  • Who can assess the same?
  • Can we people have any opportunities for higher education in good Universities inspite of bare minimum scoring?

My inability to perform well in my written examinations is really causing a big trouble, a big block in my academics and higher studies here in India. I really wish to undertake a Business management program from a good university.


Dr. Pierson's Response: 

I will try to answer your questions. First, there is no cure for dyslexia, so dyslexics must learn to accommodate for their disability throughout their lives. Research has shown that the brain of the dyslexia individual performs differently when required to engage with text when compared to the typical reader. Here we've got videos that explain some of this.

We can indeed assess and diagnose dyslexia across the ages, which is what it sounds like they would have done at the Amritha Institute. I would have thought they would have provided you with documentation. Given that I am in the US, I do not know where to refer you for a good assessment if you are in need of an updated one. I would recommend you start with the International Dyslexia Association's global partner in India.

We do know that dyslexics attend and complete degrees at very good universities and are successful. But, they succeed best when they 1) understand their strengths and weaknesses, know how to advocate for themselves, and 2) have proper accommodations. For example, you may need to have exams read to you orally and/or be able to give your answers orally if writing is a problem. In order to get those accommodations, here in the US one must have documentation of the disability. I am assuming the same is true for India since you said they are asking for such. In the US, we have legislation that mandates this; again, I do not know what is in place in your country, but they should be able to advise you at the IDA-India organization.

Last, and importantly, do not give up on your hopes and goals! Read Shaun Sanders' story—it is one of a young man who had a goal and figured out a way to persevere and reach that goal. He is currently in law school and doing very well! We have many other success stories on DyslexiaHelp—a common theme is how they had to work hard and persevere to reach their goals.

Persevere! I hope this is helpful and I wish you the very best.