I would like to go about getting some help with things. I have a hard time remembering and reading. My wife says I should get checked for dyslexia. I have not had much help from my parents and I have the desire to go to school. What should I do?

Dr. Pierson's Response: 

The first step would be getting a good assessment so that you know your strengths and weaknesses. You would want to be assessed by a psychologist or neuropsychologist, but you want to be sure the person knows how to assess (and has experience with) adults. Some professionals only specialize in or have had experience with children and teens. You'll want to confirm.

Tell the professional that you desire to go to school, so he or she will then be sure to write in the report the accommodations you'll need to be successful in school. You'll then need to share the report with the school's office for students with disabilities so that you can get the accommodations you deserve. This information may be helpful to you. After receiving an assessment, hopefully, that person could refer you to someone for intervention, if warranted, or support. That can be challenging to find for an adult, I'm sorry to say. As I mentioned, many professionals (tutors, clinicians) have experience with children, but not adults.

You might benefit from reading Shaun Sanders' story. Shaun has also offered to help fellow dyslexics -- and so if you are interested, I could reach out to him and give him your contact information. He is a TERRIFIC guy. Also, my dear friend, Dr. Michael Ryan, writes his "Letters to the Young Dyslexic." You might find some of his candid experiences informative. Good for you to reach out. I encourage you to pursue your dreams. I'm not saying it'll be easy, but the first step is to know your strengths and weaknesses, and then design a program to help you either overcome or compensate for those challenges.