I saw your list of Tests for Dyslexia and Learning Disabilities. [1] Are those permitted to be used by teachers or are they for psychologists or psychiatrists?


Dr. Pierson's Response: 

The tests listed on the website are not all necessarily ‘owned’ by any one profession, but some have very definitive credentials that professionals must have in order to administer them. The administrator of the assessment must have knowledge about the area and be practiced in administering and, importantly, interpreting the tests. IQ tests are given by a psychologist, neuropsychologist, or someone with similar credentials. The language assessments are given by speech-language pathologists (or someone with similar credentials). Reading tests may be given by psychologists, SLPs, or reading specialists.

When searching for someone to evaluate for dyslexia/LD, you'll want to be sure to ask about those credentials and experience. Quite honestly, many professionals can give a test; it is in the interpretation where the real expertise comes into play. And, while reliable test performance is critical, it is the interpretation that informs diagnosis, and importantly, intervention. A good diagnostic assessment sets the baseline for starting therapy.