I'm an older man and want to go back to college to get my Bachelor Degree. My fear is how hard it is for me to study and how bad my writing skills are. I need some help in finding a good college that can understand and help with my condition.

Dr. Pierson's Response: 

Good for you to want to pursue going for your Bachelor degree! That is inspiring. I recommend getting a copy of the K & W Guide for Colleges for the Learning Disabled. It is a comprehensive guide that is regularly updated. You could search for colleges and universities in your area (if that is where you'd like to go).

You will want to connect with the Office for Services for Students with Disabilities at the prospective school before you apply to help you gauge whether it is a good fit for you. They will also be able to tell you what documentation is needed so that you can get accommodations. Each school does it a little differently and has varying services to offer. You may also want to work with a tutor during your program who can help you learn to use such tools as dictation software, spell check, and editing software. I've got a number of options here. I do find that it can be helpful to work with a professional to teach you some of the tricks of the trade, so to speak. It can be challenging to find someone with the skill set to work with adults. Where do you live? I can try and send you a list of practitioners.

Last, I suggest reading some of story about study tips he used while pursuing his law degree will also be of interest. I wish you the best in this endeavor.